Tuesday 23 April 2013

Hazy Autumn Days

I don't know about you, but I think there's something about Autumn that makes me feel a bit odd.

The leaves and the changing colours of the landscape are gorgeous, but the light and the smells - there's something about these changes that effects me some what.


My mind somehow feels busy, invigorated. And often I feel drawn to childhood memories. It's a reminiscent time of year - or that's what I call it. I feel a bit like that in Spring as well.



By the time I grabbed my book and sat out the back, the light was low but still warm. There was a smell in the year that took me right back to when I was about six or seven years old, playing on the swings in Hunt St, Dunedin.
It's weird how small changes can affect you -take your mind over - make you ponder old memories from more than 30 years ago. Why this makes me feel uneasy; unsettled is beyond me.

On a brighter note - I saw some great shadows today. And the fluffy white pom-poms of dandelions have started to go to seed, waiting patiently for a big gust of wind to take them parachuting across the fence and into the neighbour's vege patch.


 All in all, change is good. If the changes in light and colour start to alter your mood, then go along with it. Write it down. Take note of what memories come to the surface and remember them well. The sounds, the laughs and the "it's tea time" calls of childhood.





No comments:

Post a Comment