Wednesday 3 July 2013

Kooky designs get my juices flowing

Every now and then, as a writer and a designer, the odd little gem grabs my attention and takes me on a saliva inducing ride.

While showcasing my own wares at the Craft Collective's Dead of Winter market last Saturday, I bought 2 things that just took my fancy.

Everyone who knows me also knows that I have more than a penchant for stationery: More like a compulsive disorder that seems to catch me unawares. And, if the so-called stationery is either coloured orange, or looks like a replica of some ancient manuscript, then my juices start flowing all the more.

This tiny little handmade leather-bound note book reminds me of something Hemingway would have taken on his adventures. Either that, or a sketchbook a young Picasso would have doodled in.




Hand-bound, this purse-sized notebook by Off The Road Books has the best smelling pages ever. I can't resist taking a long deep whiff from its pages.
Frankie magazine is another whiffable book. I'm convinced the aroma must represent good quality recycled paper and creativity of its artists.

Either way, I am hooked!


The second little item that I found was this wooden rabbit: Made out of Bamboo by artist and designer Dust and Dandelions, the quaint Alice in Wonderland style sketch is etched and jig-sawed and hangs from a bronzed chain.

What I love about it, is it's size. At just over 10cms high, it looks fabulously big as a pendant. It also smells like its source: that earthy woodsy smell.
And the rabbit. Oh he is mighty fine. Perfect for my black-based daily attire.



1 comment:

  1. Book cover is really beautiful and different.The rabbit is amazing.

    Regards,
    Tahitian Noni Juice

    ReplyDelete